Brooklyn, NY, United States
Requisition Number: WE-14321
Area of Interest: Merchandising
Brand/Division: West Elm
Position Type: Full-time
Assistant Buyer -- Dining and Occasional Furniture
Who we are:
Born in Brooklyn. At home in the world. west elm has been helping customers express their personal style at home since the launch of our first catalog in 2002. Our home base is nestled down under the Manhattan Bridge in the DUMBO neighborhood of Brooklyn, NY, right above our flagship store. We are a dynamic, fast-paced brand with an exciting growth strategy. We value imagination, diversity and giving people the opportunity to explore, grow and shape our future. We look for innovative, smart and hard-working individuals who enjoy creative thinking and ingenuity. Help us carry out our mission of being a source of inspiration to our customers, creating a global community and tirelessly seeking ways to evolve our brand.
The buying/merchandising team is responsible for developing and managing the right product assortment to drive sales, inventory and profit objectives. The team operates as a central hub that interacts with nearly all cross-functional teams within the organization, but most closely partners with the design, sourcing, planning + distribution, visual, and marketing teams to develop and market the assortment for our stores, online and catalog. This role contributes directly to supporting initiatives that will ensure West Elm sustains long-term growth as a leader in specialty retail.
The Assistant Buyer will be responsible for supporting the Buyer in managing and overseeing multiple classes within Dining, as well as analyzing sales, sharing insights and identifying opportunities with the Associate Buyer and the DMM. The Assistant Buyer collaborates closely with the rest of the merchandising team to build an assortment that is aesthetically balanced, profitable and diversified across the Consciousness initiatives that are part of West Elm's DNA.
* Work with the Associate Buyer to develop the seasonal assortment plans to define product requirements for on time delivery and commercial viable product.
* Work with Design and Sourcing counterparts to manage product from spec out to PO placement.
* Provide administrative and operational support including line list updates, database and system updates, compiling product information and promotion and markdown execution.
* Maintain PLM and line lists throughout seasons to ensure accuracy.
* Order and tracking samples and manage coordinating sample needs with catalog, ecommerce, PR and early floor set teams.
* Communicate annual and seasonal strategies by providing Planning and Allocation teams with final assortments, inclusive of sku counts and estimated IMUs, target flow cadence and exit strategies, and floor plan location for developing purchase projections and buy plans
* Manage in-season optimization through business reporting and analysis.
* Correspond with cross-functional partners. Resolve, handle and escalate difficult issues to Associate Buyer, Call Center and Store teams.
* Perform market analysis, competitive shop and analyze industry trends to identify emerging trends and white space opportunities.
* Responsible for reviewing catalog proofs and website testing for each season (product details, pricing, naming).
* Partner with Visual to communicate category strategies and mark-downs. Work with signage team to develop in-store signage congruent with Big Bets and promotional strategies.
* Lead end-of-season hindsight analysis and prepare recommendations for future seasons based on findings.
* Are a collaborative team player and can manage a fast-paced environment. You have an innate willingness to dig in and contribute to the success of the total team.
* Have an aptitude for analytics and ability to use findings to direct and interpret industry trends relevant for the business
* Are problem-solver, able to identify opportunities for increased efficiencies and contribute to building solutions
* Think innovation is critical in a business environment and support others in creative thinking.
* Pride yourself on the quality of work and are a stickler for details.
* Are a motivated self-starter with a desire to make an impact on your team, our customers and our vendor base.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
* 1-2 years Merchandising experience
* Strong Excel skills
* Financial acumen
* Ability to read sales trends and apply learnings
* Passion for product
* Strong communication and presentation skills
* Strong understanding of brand customer and aesthetic
* Experience in a cross-functional role
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Williams-Sonoma, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Williams-Sonoma, Inc. will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, or other applicable state or local laws and ordinances.
Website : http://www.williams-sonomainc.com/
Williams-Sonoma, Inc. is a multi-channel specialty retailer of high quality products for the home. In 1956, our founder, Chuck Williams, turned a passion for cooking and eating with friends into a small business with a big idea. He opened a store in Sonoma, California, to sell the French cookware that intrigued him while visiting Europe but that could not be found in America. Chuck's business, which set a standard for customer service, took off and helped fuel a revolution in American cooking and entertaining that continues today. In the decades that followed, the quality of our products, our ability to identify new opportunities in the market and our people-first approach to business have facilitated our expansion beyond the kitchen into nearly every area of the home. Additionally, by embracing new technologies and customer-engagement strategies as they emerge, we are able to continually refine our best-in-class approach to multi-channel retailing.