Responsible for overseeing the Company’s purchasing functions and achieving margin improvement through successful vendor negotiations, inventory management and purchasing policies and procedures. The Purchasing Manager does this by working with external and internal departments while utilizing the most up-to-date technologies.
Hire, supervise and motivate purchasing department personnel and evaluate job performance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop purchasing department policies and procedures for buyers and other branch personnel to follow. Assure appropriate department records are maintained.
• Participate in RFP process to recommend or approve selection of major vendors. Assess vendor capabilities and evaluate vendor performance through established “scorecard” method.
• Establish and develop professional relationships with vendors, manufacturers and agents.
• Negotiate terms of major vendor contracts or orders.
• Recommend or approve major purchases of materials based on anticipated changes in pricing or unusual availability situations. Balance cash flow considerations with potential price savings.
• Review and approve purchasing documents and agreements.
• Responsible for Inventory Management.
• Participate in Product Line Consolidation process.
• Review branch product lines and secure competitive pricing.
• Establish policies that allow us to maintain minimum inventory levels while avoiding shortages of necessary materials to service our customers
• Responsible for achieving inventory ratios and goals.
• Establish good rapport with branch managers and management team to develop trust and solid working relationships to accomplish common goals and strategic planning.
• Understand logistics of products within each branch location. Evaluate and recommend preferred methods of handling and delivery methods. Evaluate preferred carrying costs for potential company savings.
NOTE: This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and position responsibilities. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the incumbent in this position, and nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job description at anytime.
Houston, Texas, United States