Global Category Buyer - Maritime - Florham Park, NJ-1800024
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in, and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2017. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
We are seeking a professional like you who will be responsible for contributing to develop, implement, and monitor strategy for global categories. Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to, preparation and execution of Requests for Quotation (RFQ); contract implementation and monitoring; category management; leadership/contribution of projects; execution of supplier and risk management.
Global Category Buyer - Maritime, Courier & Air (1800024) - Florham Park, NJ
Formula for Success: You Will…
- Communicate business unit needs and provide market knowledge (e.g. supply market structure and dynamics, strategies of suppliers, pricing structures, opportunities, and threats) to Global Category Manager.
- Support Global Category Manager on strategy development (e.g. strategic goals, strategic options, implementation plans).
- Perform strategy implementation and follow-up: tackle action items, deliver progress reports to Global Category Manager.
- Prepare and execute RFQ's in collaboration with Global Category Manager incorporating business unit requirements, roles for negotiation, list of suppliers and alternatives to be negotiated into agreements.
- Evaluate incoming offers and, if applicable, challenge bonus/malus evaluation (criteria beyond price) of business units / requisitioners.
- Determine optimal negotiation/award alternatives, award goods/services package to supplier(s), if RFQ result is within defined boundaries and targets.
- Manage contracts and determine appropriate actions; inform relevant parties (e.g., Shared Service Center, business units) about negotiation results; manage supply issues and/or sales allocation/force majeure situations.
- Escalation point for Non-Conformance Management (NCM).
- Provide support and guidance on carrier invoicing disputes.
- Collect required documents from supplier(s) for master data processes.
- Manage data loading into various systems capturing rates, bids, contract boilerplates, etc.
- Execute Supplier Management according to plans developed with Global Category Manager, manage relationships with key suppliers, evaluate supplier performance, drive supplier innovation.
- Execute Risk Management approach with appropriate actions.
- Report performance results in Savings system.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
QUALIFICATIONS - BASF RECOGNIZES INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION WHICH ARE ACCREDITED BY THE COUNCIL FOR HIGHER EDUCATION ACCREDITATION OR EQUIVALENT
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
- Bachelor's degree combined with a minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience in multiple roles; advanced degree is a plus.
- Working experience in Marine and/or Air transportation required; commercial experience is preferable.
- Strong negotiation skills
- Knowledge of supplier, market environment, products, and technologies within respective area.
- Familiarity with procurement processes and guidelines a plus.
- Strong technical skills preferred (e.g. SAP, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability to travel up to 15% of the time internationally.
PRIMARY LOCATION: US-NJ-Florham Park
OTHER LOCATIONS: US-NJ-Florham Park
FUNCTION: LOSC - Logistics, Supply Chain & Customer Service
JOB TYPE: Standard
SHIFT: Day Job
ORGANIZATION: N-FPN-Regional Procurement North America
Website : http://www.basf.com/
BASF is the world’s leading chemical company – The Chemical Company. With about 111,000 employees, six Verbund sites and close to 370 production sites worldwide we serve customers and partners in almost all countries of the world. In 2011, BASF posted sales of €73.5 billion and income before special items of approximately €8.4 billion. We combine economic success, social responsibility and environmental protection. Through science and innovation we enable our customers in almost all industries to meet the current and future needs of society.